How to Do Your 90-Day Reporting in Thailand

How to Do Your 90-Day Reporting in Thailand

Disclaimer: This article may link to products and services from one or more of ExpatDen’s partners. We may receive compensation when you click on those links. Although this may influence how they appear in this article, we try our best to ensure that our readers get access to the best possible products and services in their situations.

The first time I went to the Thai immigration office in Chang Watthana, Bangkok, to do my 90-day reporting, I had no idea what I was doing.

Moreover, I didn’t know what paperwork I needed, whether I needed visa photos, or if I’d have to pay for the process.

Seven years later, I’ve become a pro at the mandatory 90-day check-in.

That said, this short guide will walk you through the 90-day reporting process, show you where to go, and tell you the three methods you have for reporting.

  • Get your FREE Thailand Cheat Sheet ​by entering your email below. The ​Sheet, based on ​our experience with living and working in ​Thailand for 10+ years, shows you how to ​save time and money and ​gives you the tools the thrive in Thailand.

What is 90-Day Reporting?

Anytime you stay in Thailand on a long-term visa, such as one for work, education, retirement, marriage, or similar, you must report to the immigration office every 90 days.

Form TM.47 Thailand Immigration
Form TM.47 is one of the main documents you need to do your 90-day reporting in Thailand.

You have to do this to let immigration know that you are, indeed, still in Thailand and living at the same place.

This process has been around for quite some time, but we can only hope that 90-day reporting will be done away with in the future.

What 90-Day Reporting is Not

When you do your 90-day reporting, you’re not being granted more time in Thailand. You’re simply letting immigration know that you’re still in the country and living at the same residence.

Moreover, your Thai visa and 90-day reporting have nothing to do with each other.

And lastly, when you apply for a new visa every year, your 90-day reporting date does not change.

When to do 90-Day Reporting

You can do your 90-day reporting anywhere from two weeks before your due date up until seven days after your due date without paying a fine (more on fines later).

I was once late by one day because I came down with the flu, but immigration had no zero sympathy – I had to pay the fine.

So, make sure you do your 90-day reporting on time every time to avoid paying hefty fines.

To make sure you never miss a due date, set a reminder on your phone or calendar.

When Does Your 90-Day Reporting Due Date Reset?

Every time you do your 90-day reporting to immigration, your due date resets by another 90 days.

Immigration officers will stamp your next due date on your 90-day receipt of notification, which they sometimes staple into your passport.

However, if you have a long-term visa, leave Thailand, and then re-enter, your 90-day reporting due date resets from the date you re-entered the country.

As a side note, if you plan on leaving Thailand and you have a long-term visa, you must get a Thailand re-entry permit, otherwise you’ll void your visa.


Unlike applying for a Thai visa, doing you’re 90-day reporting in Thailand doesn’t take piles of paperwork and many hours to prepare.

With just a few forms, your passport, and some copies, you’ll be good to go.


To do your 90-day reporting, you need the following documents:

  • your passport with visa stamp
  • two copies of your passport biometrics page
  • two copies of your TM.6 departure card (the card you filled out on the airplane before landing in Thailand)
  • two copies of form TM.47, completely filled out (download the PDF)
    • on form TM.47, fill in the date, your name, passport number, and address; the immigration officer will fill in the lower half under “For Official Use Only”
  • two copies of your visa stamp from inside your passport
  • your previous 90-day reporting receipt of notification (if you’ve done your 90-day reporting before)

Note that in some immigration offices you may not need copies of your documents. But it’s always a good idea to bring two copies just in case.

Once you have your documents in order, you can go on to the next step.

Where to do Your 90-Day Reporting

When it comes to doing your 90-day reporting, you have three choices, which we’ll cover in depth in each section below.

In Person

The most popular way to do your 90-day reporting is in person at one of the local immigration offices in Thailand.

Receipt of Notification 90-Day Reporting Bangkok
If you’ve done your 90-day reporting before, bring this receipt with you, or you may have to pay a fine.

Here’s a Google Maps list of most of the immigration offices located throughout Thailand.

In most cases, you show up at the immigration office, get a queue number, and then wait your turn.

Outside of Bangkok, the process is fairly quick – usually under 30 minutes. However, in Bangkok it could take over an hour depending on how many people show up.

Also, you can have someone else do your 90-day reporting for you. Just make sure you give them all the required documents from the list above. Moreover, you don’t have to give that person power of attorney to do it for you.


This is the method I’ve been using for the last two years.

A lot of expats say that Thai immigration’s website doesn’t work, but I’ve never had a problem using it.

In the past, I used the website below from my old Macbook Air using Firefox browser, but nowadays I’m currently using a Lenovo laptop running Linux and using Firefox.

  1. Go to the Thailand Immigration website.
  2. Read and accept the terms and conditions (you have to scroll through the entire text box).
  3. Click the top-most blue box for 90-day reporting (online version of form TM.47).
  4. Fill out form TM.47.
  5. Get and print confirmation page.

Keep in mind that the confirmation page is not your 90-day reporting approval.

You’ll have to wait a few days for immigration to email your official 90-day reporting results.

Once they do, print it out and keep it for your next 90-day reporting. It’ll also have the due date for your next 90-day reporting.

Through Mail

You can also send form TM.47 and photocopies of all the documents in the Documents section above to an immigration office through mail (check Google links above for addresses).

Personally, I wouldn’t go this route because I need to know that immigration actually received my paperwork, and going through the mail, there’s just no way to be sure that they’ve received it.

In the last seven years, I’ve only met one expat who did his 90-day reporting through mail, so it is possible – but I’d be wary.

Fines for Not Reporting

There may come a time when you forget to do your 90-day reporting. It happens to all expats at some point.

Get a Thailand Elite Visa Advertisement

If this is the case, you have to pay a maximum 2,000 baht fine.

Changing Your Address

When you move in Thailand, you have to let immigration know ASAP.

You may think it’s okay to wait until your next 90-day reporting is due, but you’ll have to pay a fine if you do this — up to 2,000 baht, in fact.

Legally, you must let immigration know within 24 hours of moving into your new place. Realistically, this is hard to do when you’re dedicating all your time to moving.

Changing your address is not a difficult process, but it does take the help of your landlord. I wrote this guide on changing your address in Thailand for the province I live in, but the process is generally the same wherever you live.

Now, on to You

After you do your 90-day reporting one time, you’ll see it’s one of the easier things you have to do while living in Thailand.

Hopefully in the future Thai immigration will do away with the whole process, as it doesn’t really seem to serve much of a purpose.

But until then, it’s a reality of being an expat in Thailand, and one of those things you have to do to enjoy living in the country long-term.

John Wolcott is the global editor for ExpatDen. He's a New Jersey native who now lives in Bangkok with his wife and two daughters.

9 thoughts on “How to Do Your 90-Day Reporting in Thailand”

  1. I live in Chonburi and tried to do my first 90-day report online. Got the same result like Richard and Kate, to contact nearest immigration office. Chonburi immigration website informs that the first 90-day report has to be made in person, after that only you can do it online through website or app. Maybe this information helps.

  2. A useful read. Worth bearing in mind the long-established maxim in Thailand: YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). There is NO set procedure that reliably works in ALL of Thailand.

    My experience (over many years) in Chiang Mai is that online 90-day reporting is a ‘dark hole’ – aka mostly doesn’t work. That said, for many years I’ve followed this practice successfully:
    Send (via EMS) all appropriate blue-ink-signed *single* photocopies/form
    Original of previous 90-day (keep photocopy for self)
    Pre-paid registered mail SAE (self-addressed-envelope) – maybe registered is OTT(?) but I do it.

    Total cost about 55 baht and (fingers crossed) has worked flawlessly for many years.

    I hear that Chiang Mai Immigration now operates a drive-thru process whereby they don’t want all the signed photocopies (“we have on computer”). Maybe so – but the Post Office route works so well for me (and much nearer) that I’ve no incentive/inclination to experiment.

    As I say – YMMV. Like you, I also look forward to when the whole (seemingly superfluous) 90-day process is ditched. And now they even want GPS coordinates of where you live ?! Not holding my breath…… TiT.

  3. For the One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit in Chamchuri square:

    You just bring your passport with visa stamp, your original TM.6 card and the TM.47 form filled out (including the residential address).

  4. Good information here.

    This part ‘When to do 90-day reporting is confusing though. It’s unclear if you can do the reporting after your due date has passed. Can you clarify?
    It says:
    ‘You can do your 90-day reporting anywhere from two weeks before your due date up until seven days AFTER your due date without paying a fine (more on fines later).

    I was once late by one day because I came down with the flu, but immigration had no zero sympathy – I had to pay the fine.

    So, make sure you do your 90-day reporting on time every time to avoid paying hefty fines.’

  5. For years, all I have needed to do for 90-day reporting is attend the Immigration Office with my passport. Nothing else has been necessary.
    The Immigration Officer removes the “expiring” TM47 from my passport, scans the bar-code on it, prints out the automatically completed a replacement TM47, stamp and enters the date of when next due, signs it and staples it in my passport. Two minutes max if no chatter otherwise extends to four.
    The point you make of visas and extensions and 90-reporting not being connected I agree whole heartedly. So may times I see guys thinking that 90-days extends their stay in Thailand.

  6. John, I live in Krabi and have had the same experience as Richard, that is I am able to fill in the first page then when I go to the second page, it says contact the nearest office. Is it possibly that it only works for those who live in Bangkok?

    Are there any readers out there who don’t live in Bangkok who have successfully been able to do their 90 day reporting online?

  7. Thank you. I am a Cdn and married to a lovely Thai lady. We spend half time in Canada and half in SE Asia, mainly Thailand. We have an apartment in Vancouver and a nice house we built in Udon 6 years ago. In our S E Asia 6 mos. we teavel in and outo of Thailand, so I have never had to do the 90 day reporting or TM 47. Must I do a TM 30 as well? Is this still a requirement. Thanks again.

  8. Even through their app, I still can not get this to work,, my son has had no luck either. I was able to do so a few times several years ago, never since. It lets us fill in the first page then when we go to the second page, it says contact the nearest office. We are within the 14 day before window.
    Any ideas?


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.