How to Apply for a US Passport and Citizenship (CRBA) When Your Child is Born in Thailand

When Your Child is Born in Thailand

If you or your wife just delivered your baby in Thailand, the hospital staff may have helped you with your baby’s Thai birth certificate and accompanying paperwork, but you’ll have to take a few extra steps to get your son or daughter recognized as a US citizen.

To do that, you have to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate, US passport, and US social security number and card.

I cover how to apply for US social security numbers and cards in another post, so in this article I’ll focus on applying for your child’s US passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate.

This is one of the 100+ exclusive pieces of content created for our Premium subscribers. To read and unlock all of them, please become a Premium or Business member.

Doing so helps ExpatDen to continue to create and publish free, longform guides on living, retiring, or starting businesses abroad without ruining your reading experience with ads and banners.

Unlock Now

John Wolcott is the global editor for ExpatDen. He's a New Jersey native who now lives in Bangkok with his wife and two daughters.