In this episode of Brewed in Bangkok, Siddhant has a chat with Anthony Quinn, founder of Dee Dee Cashback.
Anthony started working in marketing with GAME, a video game chain in the UK before going to Thailand for a very long vacation, which involved working in Phuket for an e-Commerce store featured on eBay.
In Thailand, he met his girlfriend, who would later become his wife, and they ventured back to the UK for 8 years.
Anthony decided to return to Thailand and start his own business, which turned into Dee Dee Cashback.
Learn a thing or two from Anthony about affiliate marketing, working in Phuket, becoming a digital publisher, using cashback services in Thailand, and many other topics on this episode of Brewed in Bangkok.
Disclaimer: In this guide you’ll come across affiliate and partner links. When you click and use their services or buy their products, Expat Den gets a small commission. You won’t pay anything extra for these services or products, but the small commission helps us cover the costs of running this website.
- Founder of Dee Dee Cashback, a cashback website in Bangkok
- From West London but spent many years in Slough (where they shot “The Office”)
- Worked in marketing at GAME, a UK-based video game chain
- First started working on affiliate marketing at GAME
- Applied for an e-Commerce marketing job from a newspaper classified ad in Phuket and got the job
- Spent 1.5 years in Phuket before returning to the UK
- Appointed as an account manager at Linkshare in the UK
- Rose through the ranks in Linkshare and stayed there for 8 years
- Anthony and his wife, who is Thai, moved to London for work; they visited Thailand intermittently during their 8 years in the UK
- Founded Dee Dee Cashback after quitting his job at Linkshare and moving back to Bangkok with his wife
- Affiliate Marketing–What is it?
- Working in Phuket for a start-up
- Risk and reward decision for moving to Thailand instead of working in the UK
- Working and professional life in Phuket in the mid-2000s
- How start-up life is different
- What Linkshare does in the digital space and its connection to affiliate marketing
- “Behavioral re-targeting” is a thing
- Bangkok’s growth as a city from the late 2000s
- Motorcycle taxis are the “necessary evil”–get an app instead
- What does it mean to be a publisher in the digital space?
- Can non-marketing people become affiliate marketers?
- What is “Cashback”?
- How much money can you make in cashback?
- A small summary of Dee Dee Cashback’s business model
- How has Thailand responded to the Cashback storefront?
- Educating the customer about cashback
- How did the name “Dee Dee” come about?
- A rough estimate of how much money can be made by an individual using cashback transactions frequently
- Cashback stacks up with merchant discounts, which is a great tip for savvy shoppers
I had some help with this episode: Lou Pobjecky kindly helped me with a lot of the necessary audio edits to get the file in a listenable shape. Lou also put together the cover image.
- Complete collection of Brewed in Bangkok episodes
- Doing Business in Thailand: Here’s Why It’s a Good Idea
- My Costs of Doing Business in Bangkok: ฿37,827 per Employee
- The Essential Guide to Registering Your Company in Thailand
- How to Set Up a 100% Foreign-Owned BOI Company in Thailand
- Dating in Thailand for Single Expats: How and Where to Meet Single Thais
- A Pragmatic Guide to Money and Dating in Thailand